Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan,
Experience:  Owner, Practitioner at Stewart D. Shernan, DMD
91828904

I have an infection in a tooth where a root canal was done

Customer Question

I have an infection in a tooth where a root canal was done previously. I was on clindamycin for the last three days. Most the pain has gone away (I think, I have been in pain meds too) swelling in my cheek is still there. When will the swelling completely go away? And is it possible to fly tomorrow evening given that I have just had this issue?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 11 months ago.

Hello there,

The swelling you notice can be a consequence of both the initial infection of the pulp / nerve of the tooth and inflammation resulting from the endodontic procedure. Typically when swelling is present the antibiotics (Clindamycin) take about 72 hours (3 days) to become effective. This is often the point at which the swelling will start to reduce. Rinsing with 1/2 teaspoon of salt in warm water can promote healing and reduce inflammation in your mouth. You should try to avoid chewing until all discomfort is gone. And the root canal procedure should be followed with a permanent restoration of the tooth after adequate time has passed for the tooth to heal - consult with your dentist about this.

There is. of course, no absolute certainty in predicting whether or not it is OK to travel. But if you do not currently have pain and you are taking your medication as prescribed you will very likely be fine to travel. Your healing seems to be right on schedule.

The remaining swelling should subside over the next few days.

Please let me know if need any additional information to answer your question. Otherwise I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Be well - and safe travels,

Dr Shernan

I'm happy to provide any additional information you may need to answer your question. Pleaes leave a positive rating if I've done so.

Thanks,

Dr Shernan

BTW - If the infection does persist and the root canal was done more than a few weeks ago, you should seek a follow up endodontic (root canal) consulwhen you return. Unfortunately, if the symptoms are chronic, it is possible that additional endodontic therapy is required. Hopefully you're improving and enjoying your travels. Let me know if you need additional informtion. If I've answered your question, I'd appreciate a positive rating.

Be well,

Dr Shernan