Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

Saturday my jaw hurt and I struggled to get it to close.

Customer Question

Saturday my jaw hurt and I struggled to get it to close. Sunday was some better. This morning, Monday, woke up with swelling around and below the jaw line.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 10 months ago.

Hello! Have you taken any medication? Is swelling in jaw by ear, on just one side, and/or underneath the jaw heading towards midline? What level would you rank your pain (10 being worst)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No medication on board. Swelling just under ear and forward about an inch, but not going to midline. Pain is a 4
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am not sure if response was sent. No meds on board. Swelling below ear and a little forward. Not going to mid line. Pain a 4. Seems like it's muscular

Have you had your wisdom teeth out?

Your situation sounds like TMD where the disc slid anterior in the joint space and then did not reduce hence it wasn't in between your skull and jaw for a portion of your sleep that initial night before your symptoms. This isn't something we can control, but to avoid it happening you need to be careful when yawning (very open mouth can bring the disc out place), in addition to sleeping on hand near face on that affected side, or sleeping on stomach. A short course of NDAID treatment should alleviate swelling symptoms, and then alternating ice and heat in the joint as well. This could be down for 2-3 days up to 10 to get symptoms to disappaite. I would recommend making a dentist appointment for evaluation as well to determine if a mouth guard or splint may be beneficial. If symptoms get worse in next 24-48 hours I would make an appointment ASAP. Hopefully that helps.