Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a toothache days and took antibiotic bactrim, now the

Customer Question

I had a toothache for 2 days and took antibiotic bactrim , now the toothache is gone but my jowl is swollen and sore,what should I do ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The tooth was very sore for 2 days but today the swelling is under the jawline and it tender. It also tingles a bit
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 10 months ago.

Bactrim will not cure a tooth infection nor will any other antibiotic.Teeth are different from other parts of the body in that antibiotics cannot penetrate the pulp of the tooth.The preferred antibiotic is penicillin ,amoxicillin or clindamycin.Bactrim is good for urinary tract infections but not for teeth.There are two choices when you have an infected tooth: root canal therapy or extraction.Any antibiotic will only keep the infection from spreading temporarily and then the pain and swelling will return.Most dentists have a 24 hour emergency line.You need to get on some penicillin ASAP and get into a dentist office very soon to have this tooth treated.These type of infections do not go away unless treated .In the meantime,rinsing with some hydrogen peroxide or a strong salt water solution can help to keep the area clear.It is important that you get on the proper antibiotic and get some treatment.I am sorry but there are no easy cures for this type of problem.

Is there any other information that you need ?

If you are finished with your questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks