Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a patient that has had allergic reactions to local a

Customer Question

I have a patient that has had allergic reactions to local a esthetics in the cain family. What are some alternatives I could use?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 10 months ago.

Although true allergic reactions to local anesthetics these days are extremely rare, I have used Citanest or prilocaine without epinepherine on patients making this claim.I skin tested them first with no reaction and used it for their local anesthetic with no untoward effects.A careful questioning of this patient may reveal that she in fact is not allergic to the amide anesthetics. We have not used ester based local anesthetics for many years and they were responsible for some allergic reactions.As an anesthesiologist,it is more unsafe to use a general without a local anesthetic than it is to skin test this patient and find out that she most likely does not have a true allergy to the amide local anesthetics. Many people claim an allergy when in fact they may have suffered from an intravascular injection of an anesthetic and had some increased heart rate that scared them.