Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had a tooth extraction back in oct 2015 and after sometime

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** i had a tooth extraction back in oct 2015 and after sometime i had a metallic taste but then it went away. then in early jan i had one tooth filling for a tooth next to the one which was extracted. since 2 weeks now i am having a metallic taste in my mouth.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i don't take any antibiotics at all
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

The Most common cause of a metallic taste is a side effect from medications. However, it could also be a sign of kidney problems, diabetes, liver problems and cancer. Which is why if it persists you need to see your physician for an evaluation.
The following are the best websites for information regarding a metallic taste in your mouth.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/04/8-possible-causes-for-that-metallic-taste-in-your-mouth/

http://www.healthline.com/health/metallic-taste-in-mouth#Overview1

Hope this helps you figure out what is causing your present issue. If you need more information please let me know. Thanks.

Expert:  Stewart Shernan replied 1 year ago.

A common cause for metallic taste is bleeding gum tissue and removal of amalgam (silver / metal) fillings (without the use of a "rubber dam"). There is some bleeding when a tooth is extracted. This may well have accounted for the metallic taste. And when your filling was replaced it is possible that the removal of the older filling (if metallic) caused the taste. Has the taste persisted ?

Dr. Shernan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, sorry it is still there.

Since you have not been able to discover the cause and have ruled out sinus issues, medications, or dental related issues I suggest you call your physician and get a referral to an Otolaryngologist who can do a taste test to help determine the continuing cause of your metallic taste. Hope this next step will solve your problem! Good luck.