Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

, I went rays and cleaning. The Dentist showed me x ray

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I went for x rays and cleaning. The Dentist showed me x ray of my teeth and pointed out a "shadow" above a tooth I had a root canal in years ago. The shadow was not apparent during previous x rays 10 months previous. He said he needed to do a CT scan do determine whether this was a sinus infection or a tooth infection. I did the CT scan and he told me I had an infection in the bone above the root canal. He wants to pull the tooth, clear out the infection, and put a dental implant in its place. I recently had a severe inner ear infection (Rt ear - same side as infected bone) with blockage in my right ear. My ENT cleared the infection with antibotics and steroids, however, my ear is still feels full of fluid. The ENT says this will eventually clear up, however, I am in my third month and the ear is still blocked. My dentist theorizes that the infection in the bone above my root canal maybe causing my ear to be blocked. Sorry about long response. The surgery and implant is going to cost $3500. I have faith in my dentist but am thinking I may need a second opinion.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The infection above your tooth has nothing to do with the problems with your ear. Do you currently have any swelling or pain? Do you have a copy of the xray that was just taken.? Did they give you nany other options besides an implant to replace the tooth if it needed to be extracted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No swelling - no pain. He is going to extract the tooth and clean out the infection. He mentioned using my own platelets during the surgery. I didn't ask for any options besides the implant - I have two implants (both done by him) that I am very happy with. Sorry - I don't have a copy of the x-ray
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said the CAT scan confirmed the infection
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I was under the impression that you wanted a second opinion.It sounds as if you have already made up your mind.A CT scan cannot confirm an infection.If you are convinced that this is your only option,that is your choice.Keep in mind that upper molars that protrude into the base of the sinus,frequently involve doing a sinus lift procedure as well as bone grafting.If he is pushing to do the implant right away,I would caution you strongly to wait.The xray would be helpful if you truly want another pair of eyes to confirm what the dentist is telling you.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Your dentist's implication that your tooth is causing your ear problem makes me doubt his judgement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - I am going to get the xray for second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I would be glad to look at it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I get it, how to I send it to you?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Use this same thread and upload it. Here is a link to the instructions http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** send it when I get it from the Dentist
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Great I will watch for it.Remember that xrays alone do not dictate treatment. All factors need to be considered before a proper diagnosis is made and treatment decided on.