Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

In November I had a dental appt. filling in the third molar

Customer Question

In November I had a dental appt. for a filling in the third molar on my lower right jaw. The double injection in the right jaw was the most painful one I've experienced in all the dental work I've had, and I have a high pain threshold. At the time it felt as if the needle would penetrate the jaw and appear through my cheek. Immediately after the appt. I suffered headache, earache, and lockjaw to the extent I couldn't open my mouth or eat anything other than soup for a month. The headache and earache are now intermittent, and though I can open my jaw somewhat more to eat more solid food, the pain opening it makes every meal a chore. I read that without treatment, the trismus gets worse but I thought doing nothing is what would eventually make the condition subside. Should I be seeking a remedy for this condition?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

This is a very tricky situation to handle. The needle has bruised one of the muscles causing the trismus. There is no solid single treatment for this.

Most therapies combine taking muscle relaxants, controlled cold and hot compresses of the TMJ, and local application of a muscle relaxant gel over the joint.

I suggest you see your dentist or an oral surgeon for this management. Doing all or some of this will surely give you a better and faster result than doing nothing.

Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you.

I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr Behere

Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere