Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have just seen my dentist here in France after 5 days of

Customer Question

I have just seen my dentist here in France after 5 days of gradually increasing pain stemming from my left rearmost bottom tooth. My face has also started to swell locally in the cheek area. Yesterday he x-rayed the tooth and could see nothing wrong. Their was no sign of a fracture either of the tooth or the previous filling. And evidently there was no sign of decay. At this point the pain was very hard to take and I was reducing the time between pain killers to about every 3 to 4 hours. he has given me antibiotics, anti inflammatories and pain killers presumably because he suspects an abscess but as yet I still do not know the most likely cause. Can you shed any light on this, Regards Harry
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 months ago.

If you have swelling there is a very good chance that you have an infection and that your dentist is not using all of his diagnostic skills to make a decision as to where the swelling is coming from.Do you have pain in any particular tooth? Which antibiotic are you taking and what doseage? Can you upload a copy of your xrays or can you take a picture of the swelling in your face?A picture of the tooth in question can also help make the proper diagnosis.