Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Thanks in advance opinion. I had an old porcelain crown

Customer Question

Hi, thanks in advance for your opinion. I had an old porcelain crown which I had replaced because I noticed a bad smell in my gum where the crown was. The dentist replaced the crown with a new one and told me the smell would go away with time by using the Waterpik machine everyday. I've used it religiously for 3 days and the smell is not diminishing. Should I just be patient or do you think the problem was not fixed?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 11 months ago.

Hi Margarita, using the water pik was an excellent suggestion by your dentist. I have been using one since the 70's and it helps prevent food and debris from staying in your mouth. However, the most important time to use it is in the evening before you go to sleep. It should be the last thing you do after brushing and flossing to be sure that the debris you loosened between your teeth does not remain overnight. That is when it begins to ferment and produce the odor causing bacteria as well as leading to a breakdown in your gums and possible decay as well. I suggest you try this procedure for a few more days and see if there is a change. If not then you need to return to the dentist to evaluate the pocket depths around the crown to be sure that is the area causing your problem. Does all this make sense to you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm going to be patient for 3 days but I am disappointed. I thought the new crown would remedy the problem. What are my options if the problem persists?

I would be disappointed as well. Especially after spending all that money for a new crown with no solution to your problem. If it persists then the fit of the crown needs to examined to be sure there are no open margins (edges) that allow food and debris to be trapped. If open margins are found then the crown needs to be replaced but at the dentist expense and not yours. If it is not an open margin issue then the next step is to evaluate any gum related issues that may be present causing this issue. Porcelain fused to metal crowns are the best type of crowns we use today and they can be made to fit very well and that normally solves your type of problem. So give it a few more days with the nightly regimen I suggested (including mouthwash) and hopefully your problem will disappear. If you do have to return to see your dentist for this and he tells you that the margins are ok and your gums are ok then you can always get a second opinion either from another dentist or a periodontist. OK?

Hi Margarita, did you need more information?