Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My son (aged 15) has a failed root canal. We just left the

Customer Question

My son (aged 15) has a failed root canal. We just left the endodontist who recommended extraction by an oral surgeon. He said that the ct scan on the tooth revealed a massive infection that may be in his sinus. Although asymptomatic up until this week, he said it looks to have been there for some time. He told me to have the oral surgeon biopsy the tissue in the lesion. I of course freaked out and forgot to ask all my questions. He said try not to freak, biopsy was standard operating procedure and it was mort than likely something related to the infection. He has been on 500 augmenting twice a day for last two days and the facial swelling has resolved significantly. Of course it is a Saturday. Is there anything that I need to specifically ask the oral surgeon?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 months ago.

Without seeing an xray of the area,it would be difficult to give you an accurate diagnosis.If the root canal failed,the chances of retreating this tooth with success is about 50% in most cases.Infections from teeth rarely if ever penetrate the sinus.I doubt that this has occurred. Biopsy is not a standard procedure for an infected tooth.The infection seems to be coming from the tooth.If the tooth is the source,the infection will resolve when the extraction is done.The augmentin takes about 48 hours to start to show some results so that would be normal to see a resolution of the swelling.If you have the xray to upload,I would be happy to look at it for you.I don't see from your description that anything further needs to be asked from the oral surgeon.In most cases experienced general dentists can extract a tooth.It will save you a lot of money.

Is there any other information that you need??

If you have no more questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks