Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My son is having tooth pain and xrays reveal no cavities or

Customer Question

My son is having tooth pain and xrays reveal no cavities or infection, its a new tooth he has had pop through in the last 2 months. Is this normal? Also his 12 year molar on that side is just about to pop through the skin so lots of stuff going on. Can you give me any suggestions, my dentist said ibuprofen and time. My son wasn't happy with that. He is 14. Thanks.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Matthew Kremser replied 11 months ago.

yikes... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, this seems like good advice- ibuprofen and time. For some reason kids at that age sometimes complain far more than 6-8 year olds with multiple teeth popping in. No explanation. Maybe consider having him wear a sports mouthpiece at night- he might be grinding and this could cause pretty intense symptoms.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can teeth be underdeveloped per say even though they are fully through? That is the one that seems to be bugging him the most. So do you typically see, days or months that this ache sustains itself? What is a safe ibuprofen dosage for him at 14 and about 106 lbs. Thanks for your response.

Is it a pain in the tooth? gums? constant? Does something make it appear? Sometimes kids will complain about teeth as they erupt further, but it usually lasts for a month or two, not longer. Safe for him- 400 mg every 6-8 hours.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, not constant, tooth I believe but they tapped them, temp etc and nothing out of the ordinary. I am going to put some Ambesol on the gum line and try the warm compresses to see if we can get him over the hump. He wrestles, would that be aggravating anything further? I think it was easier when he teethed at 18 mos. :) That's the regiment I have put him on and it seems to ok. I will also look into the mouthguard at night too. It might be the one coming through and the newer one all ganging up at once I think. Thanks.

Maybe his mouthguard for wrestling is the problem... maybe he needs a new one since these teeth are coming in...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are mainly the bottom teeth but would that affect his upper? WEll hit bite I bet huh? I'll see if we can schedule a new one for him and see if that helps at all. Have to ask if he's been wearing it I guess too. Thank you. Can I get back in touch if the pain continues? I feel much better hearing it from you and them that its nthing major but can be a pain, no pun intended. Thanks.

Yes, you can get back in touch. Doubt it's anything serious. Good luck