Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I had a partial root canal done on an upper molar about 7

Customer Question

Hello, I had a partial root canal done on an upper molar about 7 months ago. I never had it completed or had a crown put on. Today the tooth cracked. I wen to the dentist who said it is cracked below the gum line and needs to be extracted. The soonest they are able to perform this is in about 3 weeks. I am wondering if it is okay to let it go that long or if I should try to find someone else to do it sooner. There is no pain or swelling currently.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

Good question. And sorry about the broken tooth...

The good news, is you didn't seem to infer there was a lot of or any pain. So, there may be no need to rush to get it extracted. If it is cracked below the gumline - you sadly so, will need to have it extracted however. So the 3 week wait, is a bit long. I'd think if you are not in a rush, and/or have no real pain to put up with - waiting should be fine for 3 weeks. However, if pain or if you want to expedite the extraction, you may then want to have another Dentist get to the extraction more quickly! Truth be told - it sounds like more of a judgement call for you personally, as opposed to any official need or mandate. I hope this helps you. Please let me know if I can assist any further! Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is annoying but I would worry more about bacteria or it getting infected. Is that something I should watch for?

Well yes, but no as well. Let me explain: We all have trillions of bacteria all over in our mouths, skin, intestines, in the air, etc. Fortunately they usually do not disturb us much if any, and many of these bacteria are actually "good" bacteria doing us good. So, will bacteria get in around your tooth to yet be extracted? Definitely so. However, in the short period of 3 weeks or so, likely not to a sufficient degree, as to bother or hurt, cause you pain. More so, if you continually keep it brushed well and rinse several times per day - keeping the tooth as clean as possible. So, if you can keep it cleaned well, you should be fine (98% certain) for the short haul of 3 weeks. But, I'd not tend to let 3 weeks turn into 5 and then 7 weeks, etc.. As, eventually it is going to someday cause you some pain and difficulty!

Use your best judgement.

Just a thought: If you do have another Dentist to extract it sooner than 3 weeks. Have the 1st Dental office forward the x-ray to your email address. Then, you can forward the x-ray/s to the 2nd Dentist , who then will NOT need to retake another x-ray of your tooth. Should save you the cost of an x-ray or two!

I hope our above exchange of information may have helped you. Best wishes to you. And please DO rate my answer, thank you! Dr. Rampton

I hope your tooth is doing well for you? Did you decide to wait the three week period to see your original Dentist?