Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I got a bottom right side tooth (about midway back in my

Customer Question

Hello, I got a bottom right side tooth (about midway back in my mouth) extracted on 12/24 (11 days ago) due to a painful abcess. I'd had a molar on the same side extracted two days prior and had been put on clindamycin for one week, so just continued that after the second extraction. I also have colitis and had a hemrroidal issue. I forgot to wash my hands after touching the rectal area (pain mess and antibiotics had me in a haze) and then ate a sandwich. I didn't even realize until the following morning that I'd done so and panicked as the socket was still a healing wound and germs could have gotten in there. I now have a small (literally the size of a pin head) white dot on the gum under that tooth (outer side like I could see in the mirror) that is painful to touch. I noticed it on 12/31 or 1/01. It is still there today. aside from some headaches and achiness in my jaw (that was present before) I have no other symptoms never had a fever. Should I worry about infection and sepsis
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 months ago.

You have nothing to worry about.The white dot that you are seeing is most likely a tiny bone spicule that is just pushing on the gum from underneath.This is quite common after an extraction and these can be easily removed or sometimes they just flake off by themselves.Your mouth is full of bacteria and yeasts that keep your mouth in balance.Your immune system as well as the antibiotics would have eliminated any of your own bacteria that may have entered your mouth and neutralized them.If you would like to upload a picture of the area,I could confirm this for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ive attached two photos although it was hard to get the angle right Lmk if these are not good enough and I'll ask for help taking photos. Area is slightly aggravated by touching it I've been chewing mostly on the other side of my mouth and know I need work done on the teeth behind the extraction site as well.

That is just a tiny bony spicule under the gum.It can be easily removed.It is not infected nor does it represent an infection. It can be removed easily under local anesthesia and will take about a minute.It is nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is this true even if it does not feel hard to the touch? i feel like i had this once and it was sharp

If you push on it and it does not depress,it is bone.It will hurt if it is sharp.The picture does not represent any infection.