Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Quick question. I have been having tooth pains 2 weeks now.

Customer Question

Hello, Quick question. I have been having tooth pains for around 2 weeks now. it's my upper right teeth, it seems as if a few of them are hurting. I do have bad dental care. as I havn't taken care of my teeth at all. to the point i would probably get yelled at by a dentist. But I have never had trouble with my teeth hurting. I can tell you what i was doing when my teeth started to hurt. If I remember right a had actually bit down into one of those werther's caramels hard candies. That when my tooth started to hurt. Pain medicine temporarily takes pain away, sometimes it doesn't even work. same with Ora-gel its temp. Now anbesol did do good for numbing the teeth and pain would go away for 2-3 hours. Please advice what I should do, and what you think it is. Do you think i got a infected tooth. Should I have it pulled.. what... Thank you in advance.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 11 months ago.

Hi, first of all if you go to the dentist he will NOT yell at you. There are many people that just do not go to the dentist regularly so you are not alone in this. What you need to do is go to the dentist for and examination, evaluation and Xrays and then you will know if your teeth are worth saving or not. After you find out then you can choose to save them or remove them. For now you can take 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (Paracetamol) (1000 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or on blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Then tomorrow call your dentist and tell them you are in pain and maybe they will see you as an emergency patient to help you. If they are not in, due to the holidays, you can at least try to get asap after. If you have any swelling then you should try to get an RX for some antibiotics which can easily be called in by a dentist with out having to be seen first. Does all this make sense to you?

Hi Daniel,

Do you need any more information?