Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a problem that keep re-occuring. Basically every few

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem that keep re-occuring. Basically every few weeks i get pain in my lower left jaw. The pain gets quite intense and it feels like there is some massive pressure on my jaw from the inside. Various dentist have looked into this and x'rays show nothing much, sometimes they see an area around the base of the tooth that is blurry white but make nothing of it.
The pain eventually becomes so extreme that I will my finger to gently move the gum, this create an odd feeling, the gum seems to have something below the skin that is either liquid or a crunchy material. Pulling the skin seems to relive the pain/presure for a while.
Again however it soon becomes unbearable pain killers do nothing and i find myself using my finger to pul at the gum which results in a crunching feeling below the gum and then some release from pain. When looking around the tooth and along the gums there are then quite pronounced dips and lines in the gum tissue that seem like areas that i have managed to move some liquid from.
This process does cause some bleeding but the bleeding is small in comparison to what ever is causing the pressure under the gems.
Some dentists believe I have atypical trigeminal Neuralgia others are not so sure. I have had an MRI and 2 nerves are very close together but where not touching at that time.
The pressure under the gum extends all the way to the back of my mouth and i am wondering if my sylvia gland could be effecting my gums in some way?
If anyone has seen anything similar or can give me some advice i would much appreciate it as its getting quite hard to cope with the pain.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, thanks for looking at my case, i attach some images of the area where i have the problems.
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 11 months ago.

Has the molar that has a crown been root canaled?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think it has, but it was done a long time ago so can't be 100% sure,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf7ym5hkypytstl/gums.mp4?dl=0Above is a video that might show a bit more detail.

Ok,thanks.

Before we think of neuralgia and other atypical facial pain issues, we need to rule out any involvement of the tooth. Do you have a recent X ray of that tooth?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not but i could get one and send it through in a few days time.

That would the best starting point. Once we are a 100% sure that the tooth is OK, we can look at other causes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have had 2 dentists and a dental consultant from the hospital look at the x-ray in the last 12 months and none have found anything yet. The strange thing is something is filling up the gum as you can see from the depressions that are not normally there if i don't pul on the gum.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try and get an X-ray to send through, because its xmas soon my dentist might be closed but i will check today.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
many thanks for your help i will get back to you with the X-ray as soon as possible. bye for now.

Sure send it whenever u can, I'm not going anywhere.

Merry X mas to you!

Regards,

Dr Behere