Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I have been going to the dentist every other week last four

Customer Question

I have been going to the dentist every other week for the last four months problem with the upper right side molars had a root canal can't live with the pain unless I have antibiotics X-rays show nothing but I have been off and on antibiotics it seems the pain is in between two molars so frustrated do not know what to do
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been off and on antibiotics for over four months
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Patty, so sorry you are having issues with a root canal treated teeth. There is obviously something wrong and taking antibiotics off and on is absolutely the wrong thing to do. What your dentist needs to do is refer you to an Endodontist who can properly diagnose what is causing your pain. You need to be sure that the root canals were done properly because most people are discomfort free after 10-14 days following a root canal. I suggest that you ask your dentist for a referral to an Endodontist so that this problem can be solved and treated properly. Your dentist is not addressing your problem properly which is why you are still having problems. If you have Xrays I would be happy to look at them for you. Please call your dentist in the morning and ask for a referral. Does all this make sense to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just worried about taking antibiotics so long and without them I am in a lot of pain

Taking antibiotics that long is a real problem and should not be done. For the pain you should now take 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer, liver disease or on blood thinners. Please call your dentist in the morning for a referral and explain to the Endodontist that you are in pain and need to be seen as soon as possible. They see emergency patients daily and should be able to get you in. That is what we do in our office when patients who are suffering call. OK, will you do that?

Hi Patty, did you call your dentist and get the referral?