Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had extraction of wisdom tooth r side top and bottom 7

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I had extraction of wisdom tooth r side top and bottom 7 days ago under anasthetic , I was prescribed amoxicillen antibiotics by my dentist GP did not want to know about problem as x4 days after procedure I was in terrible pain. The issue is now pain and swelling are slightly better I can function but I can still hardly open my jaw, thjis is very frightening and I feel things should be resolving by now, be ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Swelling is reduced but still apparant, pain is more localised to where I can feel extractions took place. I am taking 30/500 co-codomol qds, ice pack also please I need reassurance my mouth will open again I feel forcing it would 'tear' something as well as be horrendously painful
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dental Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer, and specifically requesting me to answer your question.

Extracting two wisdom teeth at the same time is tricky business, as it doubles the odds of complications.

I will address the two issues you have separately.

1. Pain.

Pain up to 7 days is normal after a wisdom tooth extraction. You had two of them extracted and thus your pain right now is still in the normal range, nothing to worry about there. The pain will reduce from the 10th day onwards.

2. Reduced mouth opening.

This is a concern. Trismus after wisdom tooth extraction is an unfortunate and troublesome complication. This occurs either due to injury to the jaw muscles by the needle during the local anesthetic injection, or due to keeping the mouth open for an excessive period of time under stress, which puts the muscles in spasm.

This does correct itself, but it can take time, sometime even a month. You need to take a lot of prescription muscle relaxants. Please see your dentist for the Trismus as soon as you can.

Don't worry, it is neither permanent, nor dangerous.

Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive ratingpositive rating if my answer has helped you.

I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr Behere

Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 11 months ago.

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere