Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Alzheimers trauma of deep cleaning; Is there any

Customer Question

Alzheimers trauma of deep cleaning; Is there any alternative to deep cleaning of quadrants? My mom shakes during certain life situations because she is getting Alzheimers. She had a deep cleaning of quadrants i recall approx 2010 or 11.. Now she lives with me and a new dentist said she has deep pockets. My mom has all her teeth at 79 except one. She rarely has cavities and has perfect teeth. No periodontal disease ever. But she is getting Alzheimers the past 2 years so her brushing is not so great anymore. She was angry with me for taking her to the dentist and having to sit there so long.  Is there any other way to avoid this deep cleaning? She gets frazzled and afraid of motorized brushes when I try to use them in her mouth.

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 12 months ago.

If your mother has deep pockets,she has periodontal disease.If your mother had deep scaling previously and the dentist was honest,she has periodontal disease.She either has deep pockets and periodontal disease or she doesn't.You cannot have deep pockets without periodontal disease.Periodontal disease is caused by calculus adhereing to the teeth for extended periods causing bone loss,leading to pockets.If the calculus remains on the teeth,there will be continued bone loss.There is nothing that you can do at home but provide good home care.Even with good home care,your mother should still have her teeth cleaned 3 times a year minimum if she has deep pockets.Using a water pik at home is very helpful in preventing buildup on the teeth but will not stop it completely.If your mother cannot tolerate the time or the procedure,there are dentist that have anesthesia training that can sedate her for the procedure if the procedure is actually necessary.To confirm whether your mother actually has periodontal disease or not,you can upload her panorex xray and I would be glad to look at it for you.There are plenty of dentists that work fast or can do the cleaning in shorter time periods to reduce the stress on your mother.The answer to your question is ,there is no substitute for removing calculus in periodontal pockets except to remove the calculus with a thorough cleaning.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 months ago.

Is there any other information that you need?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so it can not be noticed visually is that right? Only with a panorex? I don't think she had that done... But I will check

The only way to tell if there is actual bone loss is to view the xrays.Without xrays,a diagnosis of periodontal disease cannot be made.

If you do not require any more information,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks

Can you please rate the response so that we can move on to another question ? Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi there.... I need to upload the xrays,,,, give me a few days after these holidays are over... thakns... happy new year.. I did not forget

I can still read the xrays after the question has been rated.I think that your original question has been answered.