Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of experience as doctor
9324755

My son is 21 months old. From 8 days he have teething

Customer Question

My son is 21 months old. From 8 days he have teething problem which increased in infection. Whole his gyms are slowen. One week he is with temperature between 37.5-39 C constant. From 4 days he can not eat normal food and drink milk only with straw. He lost visible a lot of weight. First his pediatrician think that is stomach infection because of diarrhea he had but diarrhea stopped and his stool tests are OK.
We visited two children dentists. First one declined to check in details because he cried and said all children have teething problems. Next one checked him today and said that he have very bad infection, whole gums are dark red. She said she want to prescribe antibiotics but she didn't because no at that more expirienced doctor to confirm in hospital.
So we came back now at home without any medical help and just knowing that problem is gums because it's to see without begin doctor. No any treatment done and I'm very worried - first because my son already looks real exhausted and ill after one week no sleeping more than 20 minutes without awake and also because i worry that infection in the month can cause other complications.
What about treatment of this type infections of children? Is it possible complication and what?
Thank you in advance.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 12 months ago.

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
Having a history of fever, diarrhea, loss of appetite, inflammation or infection in the gum are due to a infection.
Most often these symptoms are due to viral infection which does not need antibiotic.
But sometimes after a viral episode, bacterial infection can develop.
As it is going on for 8 days, he is not taking food, having weight loss and still now and gum is red, inflamed, please take him to his pediatrician again.
Doctor can examine him, if it is needed he can prescribe antibiotic.
Oral yeast infection can be given.
Yogurt can be given.
Doctor can prescribe vitamins if it is required.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.