Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, 5 years experience in the field of General Surgery and Emergency Medicine and OMFS.
27273415

I have coating on top of my tongue, most on the back the

Customer Question

I have white coating on top of my tongue, most on the back the tongue. If I scrape top of my tongue, I get saliva like transparent slime. I will provide pictures. Also, I need to now and then "clean my throat" and when I do that, white and/or transparent slime does come from throat. Also, couple weeks ago, I had two small white bumps in front of tongue, which did then disappear after few days.
Could this be STD? I did have unprotected oral sex with male mid October.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pictures added, before and after scraping.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 11 months ago.

Hi and thanks for your query.

This seems like oral thrush, infection of the tongue with a fungal infection caused by candida albicans.

Not precisely an STD but can spread if oral sex is performed on an infected genitalia.

I would suggest that you visit your PCP and have a swab sent for fungal culture.

For the time being, you should start on Oral anti fungal drops like Nystatin oral drops or Daktrin oral gel. You might be able to find these over the counter. Keep a good oral hygiene, chlorhexidine mouth wash for gargles, thrice a day.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Best.