Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Dear Dr Bornfeld: I had a root canal on molar 19 in the mid

Customer Question

Customer: Dear Dr Bornfeld: I had a root canal on molar 19 in the mid 1970 (silvertip?) My dentist recently noticed a small shadow at the base of the root on x ***** *****. There is no pain or swelling. She referred me to an endodontist who advised me that a re do of the root canal was not feasible since the silver would deteriorate and she recommended an apicoectomy. Since I haven't had a problem with the tooth in four decades is this procedure necessary? Thank you. Joe B.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Dr Bornfeld: This is Joe B. What additional details do you require?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dental Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Since Dr. Bornfeld isnt online at the moment, and I see you have been waiting for a while, I will answer your question if that is ok with you.

No, this procedure isnt really necessary if you have no symptoms. The dark shadow at the apex of the root of your tooth is a periapical abscess or a rarefaction. Your root canal is an incredible 40 years old ! There is bound to be some periapical lesion after so long, this is nothing alarming.

Your Endodontist was right, a re- rc cannot be done in the conventional manner for a tooth that has been filled with a silver point, as it is very difficult to take the silver point out.

But I do not think you require an apicoectomy at the moment.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere