Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I have a problem with the inside of my cheek and lower left

Customer Question

Hi I have a problem with the inside of my cheek and lower left gums. The inside of my cheek looks whiteish in colour. Kind of like a thin film covering. In certain patches the skin has peeled off by either me scraping it on or it's own. Some patches have bleed slightly but not loads. I also get a few white patches around the bottom left gums. It seems to brush off but keeps coming back.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 12 months ago.

Sorry to hear of your problems with the white colored film on your cheek and gums. Could you possibly take a picture or two and email them to me to look at? Also, is there any pain or discomfort associated with the white film. How long has it persisted, and do you smoke or chew tobacco by any chance? Thanks! Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi thanks for the answer . Not really any pain it just feels rough and not right when I rub my tongue over it. I do smoke about 10-20 a day estimate . I have taken photos not great though. I have brushed earlier so not so bad now either . I think you can just make out the pink area where the skin came off earlier .

I will type more, but here is a good web site that shows some white patched areas to read about: http://www.dentalcare.com/en-US/dental-education/continuing-education/ce110/ce110.aspx?ModuleName=coursecontent&PartID=1&SectionID=0

You took some good pictures... Thanks.

From the horizontal white line I see along your cheek, it looks very much like what we as Dentist often see. And often the white area is due to inadvertent cheek biting, either in one's sleep, or perhaps, even being cognitive of doing so (but you would know if you were doing such cognitively). Often called Hyperkeratinized Epithelium. It generally subsides, once the irritant goes away. In this case, if we deemed the causation to be cheek biting, and presumably at night, one could wear an inexpensive night guard - which one could buy at a pharmacy, or have one's Dentist make. I can't see any photo angles of your gums, but smoking is often also a problem which causes whitish looking patches - which will also subside (almost always) once the irritant (smoking) is removed. Sorry, easier said than done on that subject - right?

Lastly, if it were me, I'd attempt to slowly taper off, and/or quit smoking. But, I realize that is NOT easy. However, it may be partially due to smoking - the white on the gums (and cheek too), and it may well be partially or totally (cheek only) caused by inadvertently chewing on the cheek. But the bot***** *****ne: I do NOT believe, from the pictures you sent me, that you have anything serious to be concerned about. And, as mentioned above, remove the smoking, and possibly a night guard. One or both are the likely causes of your white look which you are concerned about. A final note: If you alleviate the smoke and/or try a nightguard - then you've fixed the problem, obviously. If, by some unusual chance the above methods do not alleviate your white look - you could always get it biopsied by your Dentist, and within 48 hours have 100% perfect confirmation of what the white area is. I do NOT think you will need to get a biopsy though. I believe you have hyperkeratinized epithelium, brought about by either smoke and/or chewing of the cheek or both. I hope this helps you Sir!

I hope this helps you. Please do not hesitate to ask any follow up concerns, should you have such.

From the pictures you sent - I see nothing "out of control".

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns. And please do rate my answer also if you would please.

I wish you the very best. If you are concerned, I'd make a Dentist appointment. I don't believe you need a biopsy. But, if you had one - you'd know 100% what is and is not...