Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I'm very scared of having a tooth out as I have a root

Customer Question

I'm very scared of having a tooth out as I have a root infection had it since September how long will it take to effect the brain and heart
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you die having a tooth out
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Denise, the chances of the "root infection" affecting your heart and brain is really not an issue these days especially if you are on an antibiotic prior to the extraction. I suggest you get an RX for Amoxicillin 500mg, 4 times a day and begin taking it 2 days prior to the extraction and you will not have to worry about anything bad happening to you. If you are unable to get an Rx before your visit then the dentist removing your tooth will decide at the time of removal if one is needed. In either case unless you have a compromised immune sysytem you do not need to worry at all about anything happening to your heart or brain due to this infection. And you cannot die from having an extraction so please try not to worry. Hope this helps!! If you need more information please let me know. Just go ahead and have the extraction and you will feel better knowing you did the right thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to tell you that I have type two diabetes and the tooth has broke down in the gum I am scared stiff is it painful, to have a extraction do you feel any pulling and tugging. My friend said she felt a gentle side to side and it was out

Hi Denise, Type 2 diabetes will not affect the extraction and you will not have any pain during the extraction because you will have a local anesthetic that will have you very numb so you will feel nothing. The anesthetics used today are so much more effective then what was used when we were young and are very good in establishing excellent anesthesia. There is a very gentle side to side pulling that is used to remove teeth but again you will have no feeling or pain during the procedure. Your friend is correct in her description about the extraction.

Hi Denise, do you need anymore information?