Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have children that continue to get cavities after over a

Customer Question

I have foster children that continue to get cavities after over a year in our home when the other children in the home don't have any cavities. All children have the same routine of dental care and brushing and such and now have the same diet. Could choices over a year ago still be causing issues now?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

There are a lot of factors that go into determining whether children have decay or not.The main ones are diet,home care,whether the drinking water is fluoridated or not and last but not least genetics.Teeth are a part of the body and their makeup and susceptibility to decay can be genetically related.If you are feeding the children a good diet,avoiding cola drinks,having their teeth cleaned twice a year and using a fluoride toothpaste.you are doing everything that you can possibly do to provide good dental care.The rest is a genetic problem that you have little or no control of.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that I can give you or do you need more specifics?