Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I have two upper back teeth on the right side that have

Customer Question

Hi, I have two upper back teeth on the right side that have crowns and the dentist keeps watching them asking if it hurts and I said no. I went for a cleaning and now since that appointment I have a bad taste in my mouth. almost metallic, and the area under my jaw is swollen and my right ear is blocked. I don't have a fever and the teeth don't hurt. I am just wondering if I have an abcess.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

I understand what your rational concerns are.

I think what I would do at this juncture is call your Dental office, perhaps you could re visit them for a brief few minutes (ideal if you can sneak into your schedule), and have your Dentist who told you about the "watching" of the two back teeth, take a second look at them. More specifically, I'd ask him or her, "what" they deem the "watch" is for, or what is possibly wrong with them? Because, both you and I are both somewhat in the dark, without access to an exam and x-rays (which your Dentist has). So, to re-visit your Dentist would be very valuable. Is it possible that there could be an abscess, etc.? Yes, it would be a stretch to say definitely so, or anything like that.

Lastly, a re-visit, will likely put you back on the proper path to get the swelling and plugged ear taken care of, and teeth as well, if need be. So, my first & foremost recommendation is to go back to the Doctor who first noticed a "possible" something - and have him give you the very best & proper diagnosis and suggested fix. I hope this helps you Ma'am!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking I should call them as well. The thing is that I was not due for xrays this visit so they don't have any current views of what is going on behind the scenes with those teeth. He just tapped on them and said do they hurt and I said no. I always have a problem with those two teeth with food getting trapped and I am flossing them constantly so my concern I guess is that there is an abscess they are not seeing because of 1) no xrays this time and 2) the tooth could be abcessed without pain because of the root canal.

I like the way you think, and you are correct. There "could" be an abscess... However, there may not be as well. The primary best way to diagnose an abscess is a current x-ray, and thus re-visiting your Dentist of choice would, my opinion, be prudent, as he or she can then take a current x-ray or two, and also visually inspect (another valuable tool). They additionally could address your ear and swollen areas as well...

Hello, I wanted to check back to see how you were doing? I'm hoping the swelling might have subsided, as well as the foul taste and other as well...? Were you able to see your Dentist again?

Dr. Rampton