Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My upper first and second premolars on both sides are broken

Customer Question

Hello. My upper first and second premolars on both sides are broken off at the gum line. My dentist wants to extract them. He has said that I should replace them with them with implants if possible but I can't afford that. However I am afraid to have them pulled because I read something in his office about how when a tooth is extracted, the jaw bone resorbs, and this can lead to a "sunken in face" like you see in older people.
If my dentist does extract these four teeth, and does bone grafting, but it takes me a few years to come up with the money for implants, will my face sink in. I'm terrified of that happening. Someone please let me know. Thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If the teeth are not restorable and broken off at the gumline,you run a greater risk of infection and increased bone loss by waiting to do something about the infected teeth at a later date.The longer infected teeth stay in the bone,the more bone loss that occurs.The bone that is lost though is not your jaw bone.It is what we call alveolar bone and this is the bone that surrounds the teeth.Losing the bicuspid teeth will not make your face sink in.What you should do though is replace the teeth ASAP after the sockets have healed.This can be done with a removable partial which is not expensive or you can have permanent bridgework done.Both are cheaper than implants.You can always have implants in the future when you can afford them..Bone grafting after the extractions are done is not necessary and only adds money to the dentist's wallet but will do nothing for your face.The sockets will heal in with bone all by themselves without any bone grafting material.A removable partial can cost as little as $500.A well made one will cost about $1500 and can last you for many years.Your face will not sink in if the premolars are extracted.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you are finished with your inquiry,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks