Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I wanted to ask advice on how it takes to clear up

Customer Question

Hello - I wanted to ask advice on how long it takes to clear up pericoronitis. It's been one week since I was in pain, I was on a 5 day course of Metronidazole, which took the pain away.
However my gums continued to leak yellow fluid and were very red around the top and edges. I went back into the dentist last week and he advised to use salt/water rinses every time I eat and it should settle. He said no further antibiotics were advised.
But its been around 5/6 days since he advised that and although there is no pain, the gum continues to leak yellow fluid and is red.
My question is how long will this take to settle?
Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The cause of pericoronitis is from an incomplete or blocked eruption of a tooth.As long as the tooth stays where it is with no treatment,you will continue to have a pericoronitis and it will come and go with different severity.The tooth under the flap of skin that keeps getting the gum infected needs to be extracted.That is the source of your problem and until it is removed,you can expect to have more problems.You have an infection,that is why you see the fluid coming out.The Metronidazole is the incorrect treatment for your problem.You need to be on a weeks course of amoxicillin 500 mg or penicillin vk in conjunction with removing the offending tooth.You will then get complete healing and not have to deal with this problem again.Your dentist needs to reeducate himself in proper diagnosis and treatment.Rinsing with strong salt water or straight 3% hydrogen peroxide can help but will not eliminate the possibility of continued re occurrence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean the gum is still infected at the moment? Am I correct in assuming I need to get the infection under control before pulling a wisdom tooth?
Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you have no swelling in your face,there is no reason to delay getting the tooth extracted.You can be placed on the antibiotic now and still have the tooth extracted this week.A pericoronitis is a localized infection that can lead to an infection in the soft tissues of the face.If you are going to have the tooth extracted soon,getting on the antibiotic at the same time would take care of your problem.There is no need to delay though based on your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, if I don't get the tooth removed this week, do I need to get another course of antibiotics anyway?
If an infection in the gum was cleared, would it continue to drain? That is what I am confused by.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

This question appears to have been closed by the moderator for some reason.Did you close the question or do you want to proceed? I am confused.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me check.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Rating the question with a positive response will allow me to continue to give you more information. A history of getting answers and not rating ,will sometimes close down the question

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you can get this straightened out,I would be happy to help you