Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a small bump on the outside of my lower jaw. It does

Customer Question

Hi I have a small bump on the outside of my lower jaw. It does not hurt and it is about the size of a small pimple. I don't even think it will show up on a picture. Should I be worried?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is the bump hard or soft? Is the bump covered by pink tissue like your gum or is the bump discolored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard, not painful. It's covered by pink tissue but purplelish underneath.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

What you are describing is most likely a mandibular torus or exostosis.Theses are benign growths of bone that occur anywhere on the hard structures of your mouth.They are harmless and pose no danger.They do not need to be treated.Sometimes when we eat and coarse food bumps them,it makes you notice them.The tissue over these growths is thin and sometimes gets traumatized.They will heal normally.Anyway,you do not need to be concerned .These are quite common and are of no concern.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need?