Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Question: my husband broke # 31 about a month ago and had no

Customer Question

Hi ! question: my husband broke # ***** about a month ago and had no pain but the distal wall was the broken part and had recurrent decay with an old amalgam. he was referred to endo and had the first 1/2 of a root canal done a month ago He was give on amox. His apt. for the 2nd 1/2 of the rct. is this tuesday. He finished the amox. like a week ago and started to have pressure that felt like it was in the jaw.( no real tooth pain or hot/cold sen. He had that for 2-3 days and then then yesterday was RX another round of Amox. he began to feel better but tonight suddenly has a black eye like under the right eye. it not swollen and he still feels better. he sees ENDO on tuesday. He was doing yard work today but does not think he hit it but it is possible.. I am a dental hygienist so I only know enough to be concerned. is it pos. that it could be related? Thanks!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The first mistake was made by the endodontist by making your husband wait a month between appointments.After a tooth is opened to have root canal treatment done,it should be completed within ten days not thirty.If the root canal was done in a timely fashion,the continued use of antibiotics would not have been necessary .There should be no sensitivity to hot and cold because the pulp has been removed.His black eye is unrelated to the root canal and tooth # 31.If there were any infection in #31,it would drain to the submandibular gland under the jaw and not up to the eye.Your husbands's black eye is completely unrelated.When you see the endodontist on Tuesday,you can let him know that it is poor judgement to make a patient wait a month to have a root canal completed.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks.There are several ways that the eye can become black or bruised but that is outside the scope of dentistry.Aside from trauma, the most common cause,blood disorders and hematomas are other possibilities that can be explored.