Dr Stuart P Todd
Dr Stuart P Todd, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  BDS Glas MJDF RCS Eng
83192357

I have a lump on my gum.. Myy tooth feel lose. How can I

Customer Question

Hi I have a lump on my gum . .
Myy tooth feel lose. How can I stop it come out.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Stuart P Todd replied 1 year ago.

Hi there my name is***** have over 10 years experience in NHS and Private Dentistry in the UK. Firstly I am sorry to hear of you current dental problems. To be able to answer your question fully and to give you the best possible response, would it be possible to give me a full history regarding your problem? When did the problem start? Are you experiencing any pain? I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pain . It feel loose

Hi again. The lump on the gum can be indicative of numerous conditions. Most commonly this can be something called a sinus. If there has been a knock or bump to a tooth, a large cavity or filling, even one done a number of years ago, this can cause inflammation to the nerve tissue inside the root of the tooth. When this occurs sometimes the inflammation can become irreversible and the nerve tissue begins to break down inside the tooth. When this occurs an area of inflammation and bacterial infection occurs near the end of the root. Over time this infection follows the path of least resistance through the gum tissue and drains through the "lump" on the gum tissue.

Sometimes the tooth can increase mobility due to this.

My recommendation is to see your dentist ASAP to have an Xray taken and to allow full treatment planning for the tooth. This could be from a Root Treatment or Extraction with further definitive treatment depending on the restorability of the tooth.

I hope this helps. Please Rate my response to ensure the experts are credited for helping you. Feel free to message me back should you need further clarification.

Kind Regards,

Dr Stuart Todd BDS Glas MJDF RCS Eng

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used a mouth wash . And the tooth does not feel so loose why is this

Normally using a mouthwash on its own wouldn't directly do anything to "firm" a tooth up. A tooth is held in a boney socket in the jawbone by a ligament of fibres called the Periodontal Ligament. I hope this helps.

Do you require any further information relating to your question?

Kind Regards,

Dr SPTodd BDS MJDF RCS

Hi Chantel,

When you have the time please can you eave a rating for your answer as this ensures quality control for the site.

Regards

Dr Todd BDS MJDF RCS

General Dental Practitioner