Dr Stuart P Todd
Dr Stuart P Todd, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  BDS Glas MJDF RCS Eng
83192357

I recently had a tooth capped on my front right tooth and

Customer Question

I recently had a tooth capped on my front right tooth and the corner of my right lip went upward causing my top lip to look as if it shifted upward to the right and my bot***** *****p looks as if it has shifted to the left. My dentist swears this new cap on my tooth couldn't have caused this. I have gone back to the dentist to have him take some of the bulk out of the capped tooth. It looks a lot better; however, my lips are still not centered as they were before I got the tooth capped. What could have caused this?
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awaiting answer from experts.
Expert:  Dr Stuart P Todd replied 1 year ago.

Hi there my name is***** am a dentist with over 10 years experience in General Practice. Firstly I am sorry to hear you have had a problem with your recent dental treatment. To allow me to fully answer your question would it be possible to attach a picture to allow me to fully help you with this matter? There are numerous causes that may make the lips appear "off centre" for example asymmetry of the new crown with respect to the adjacent teeth, poor morphology, gum margin heigh, bulbosity, to name a few.

I hope this helps. Feel free to send your photograph and I can help diagnose further. Kind regards ***** *****

To clarify, if a new crown is to broad and doesn't match the symmetry of the adjacent tooth this can cause the lip position to seem "off".

In my experience, in the past, sometimes recontouring of the crown can help but this would remove the surface glaze of the porcelain. Sometimes the only way to correct this is to have a fully new crown made with a visit from the Lab Technician in-house.

I hope this helps. Please remember to rate your answer to your question to ensure the Experts are credited.

Kind Regards,

Dr Stuart P Todd BDS MJDF RCS

Is there any further assistance you require with your question?

Regards

Dr Stuart P Todd BDS MJDF RCS