Dr Stuart P Todd
Dr Stuart P Todd, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  BDS Glas MJDF RCS Eng
83192357

I had a root canal redone and now pulled the tooth on lower

Customer Question

I had a root canal redone and now pulled the tooth on lower bottom molar
Have been in exruciating pain for 4
days on pain medicines
Should I be worried
Jaw hurts too
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Stuart P Todd replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, my name is***** have over 10 years experience in General Practice in both NHS and private practice in the UK. Firstly, I am very sorry to hear of your problem experienced since your extraction recently. From reading your question, I understand that you had a root treatment carried out on a molar tooth and then had the tooth extracted. This was carried out about four days ago. In about 4% of all extractions, sometimes you can unfortunately get a post extraction infection in the socket. This we call a "dry socket" or alveolar osteitis. When a tooth is removed a blood clot forms in the socket. This blood clot allows the healing process to begin. Very rarely sometimes this blood clot is lost and leaves the honey socket walls exposed. Inside the mouth there are literally thousands of bacteria and it is these bacteria that can populate the now "dry" socket walls. Some of the symptoms include metallic taste from the socket, halitosis and severe pain. Some people describe the pain as being worse than before the tooth was removed. Normally my treatment of such would be to irrigate and wash the socket to remove any debris. Place an anti-inflammatory pack and prescribe antibiotics. This allows the socket to heal and also reduce the pain experienced. In my opinion you shouldn't have anything to worry about as the socket will heal on its own. That being said, I recommend if the pain continues or gets worse you should attend your dentist to have everything checked. This is to ensure there are no bone fragments in the socket or even tooth fragments if the extraction was difficult. Your dentist would check this by taking a radiograph. I hope this helps and answers your question. Please rate my service to you and feel free to ask any further question you may have. Good luck and take care.

Hi again. In addition to my above answer I notice you have tried Augmentin. Augmentin is the antibiotic Co-Amoxiclav which can be suitable for some dental infections. Unfortunately not all bacteria respond to all types of antibiotics. Another antibiotic I prescribe is Flagyl. Flagyl is the antibiotic metronidazole. His antibiotic is good for treating anaerobic infection such as those which are more common in infected sockets. Again I recommend you revisit your dentist to have a radiograph taken to ensure no tooth fragments are still in situ. I hope you find this answer useful and please feel free to post any follow up. Finally please remember to rate my answer as without such we don't get credited. Warm regards, ***** *****

Sorry did not mean to opt out of this question. I am still here to help you.

If I can be of any help please message to discuss,

Please remember to rate your answer. This ensures the Experts are credited for their work.

Kind Regards,

Dr Stuart P Todd BDS Glas MJDF RCS Eng

Is there any further assistance you require with your question?

Regards,

Dr Stuart Todd BDS MJDF RCS