Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Painless lump on gum above tooth. I went to dentist and he

Customer Question

Painless lump on gum above tooth. I went to dentist and he poked and x-rayed and found nothing. What could it be?
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first it seemed to be a cut of some kind on the edge of the gum, almost looked like a little blood blister on the bottom and bled every time I would brush my teeth. But now it only bleeds rarely when I brush but it is still there. It seems to go down sometimes as well, and then big again. It is very hard.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

Because a lump could represent many different things with different health implications, the implied intent of your question would not be well-served by speculation alone. Could you submit a clear photograph of the affected area, including the adjacent teeth? This would allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having trouble taking a clear photo of it. No idea at all what it COULD be?

Yes-- your brief description could be consistent with several hundred different clinical entities, both trivial and not. For example, it could be a drainage point from an infected tooth, or it could be an exostosis, or it could be a reactive inflammatory lesion (peripheral giant cell granuloma, pyogenic granuloma), or a benign neoplasm (squamous papilloma, odontogenic fibroma), or a malignancy (osteosarcoma, lymphoma, squamous cell carcinoma), or a mycotic infection (coccidioidomycosis), or granulomatous process (sarcoidosis, tuberculosis), to name just a few. This is just to illustrate that a diagnosis can be no better than the amount of diagnostic information that goes into it. I will keep this question open in the hopes you can provide more information or a photograph on which to draw some usable input.