Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

After a root canal on Monday, my jaw and face have swelled

Customer Question

After a root canal on Monday, my jaw and face have swelled to excruciating pain. I went back to dentist Wednesday morning and he opened the temporary feeling back to try to get infection to drain then placed temp fillingback in. Prescribed omocicillnand hydrocodone. Swelling and pain got word went to er and got a shot of antibiotic and prescribed clindamycin. The swelling and pain has spreads to my throat and is very tender and still throbbing. Is there anything else I can do to get relief or is this normal.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, if the tooth was properly cleaned out for your root canal then your reaction is a possibility if you have an abscess or infection with the tooth. Normally the swelling will peak on the 2nd or 3rd day (today) and then by day 4-5 things begin to get better. It takes at least 48-72 hours for any antibiotic to kick in and help you. You should also be using warm salt water rinses: 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8oz of water as hot as you can tolerate and do this every 2-4 hours. You can also take 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol (extra strength) every 4-6 hours for pain. This is more effective than a narcotic but do not use if you have liver issues or are on blood thinners. Also elevate your head when sleeping and do not put any heat on the outside of your face. You will be just fine given time and you are on the correct meds as well. The only issue is your neck. If there is any swelling in your neck then you need to be seen. But the sore throat is common. Does all this make sense to you?

Hi, how are you doing now? Do you need any more information?