Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

My bridge is bothering me, what could be wrong

Customer Question

Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

How long ago was the bridge placed? Do you have any swelling in the gum area? Is the bridge loose? Are you having any sensitivity to hot or cold? Is it possible for you to upload a picture of the bridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the bridge about 10 years ago. There isn't any swelling but it does feel lose but I don't know if I am just being paranoid. It feels like I have a bunch of canker sores in my mouth
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

That means that the bridge was placed when you were 16.We normally do not place permanent bridges at this age because the teeth are still erupting.When you bite down and grind your teeth,can you make the bridge move? Did they tell you this needed to be replaced at some point? Canker sores and a loose bridge really have no relationship to one another.Do you have a bad taste in your mouth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't move and yes I was 17. They never told me it would need to be replaced. And no bad taste
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is just very irritated and is sore by the gum area
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Any chance that you can upload a picture of the area?You stated that "it does feel loose" and at the same time you say "it doesn't move" .I am a little confused

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this good
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

.Here are your possibilities.Without an xray of the area ,I cannot make an accurate diagnosis but if just this area is sore and your gums are not sore anywhere else,you may have gotten some food trapped under the bridge.Rinsing with very warm strong salt water or peroxide can help this problem. From the looks of the picture,it seems like it maybe has been a little while since you had a good cleaning at a dental office.There does seem to be some gingivitis in other areas of your mouth.Using a water pik and getting a cleaning really should resolve your problem.The other possibility is that you may have a virus.These are normally self limiting and will go away on their own.My guess is ,if you have no pain or sensitivity of the teeth themselves and the bridge is definitely not loose,you just need a good cleaning.Try the salt water rinses and see if a lot of this clears up.The professional cleaning will reverse this in about two days.There does not seem to be anything else serious going on.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

It has been a long day and I am going to sign off for the night.If you have additional questions I will check back with you in the morning.If not ,when you get a chance,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks again.I do not think that you have anything serious to worry about.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you have no other questions,please leave a rating for your answer.Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

PLease let me know if you need any more information.If not please leave a rating so that I can help other customers.Thanks