Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Is it feasible and ethical dentist to perform root 3 root

Customer Question

Is it feasible and ethical for a dentist to perform root 3 root canal treatments,10 fillings and whitening in one 3 hour long consultation
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Many times we face situations where there is extensive dental work that needs to be done.To perform this amount of work at once is not unethical.It is also quite feasible.Many times we do this type of work , and more , using IV sedation.The bottom line is patient comfort.There are no restrictions on restorative treatment like this as long as the fillings and root canals are done properly.We see cases daily that involve more work than the case that you have described.It may seem unusual to even need this amount of work to most people,but depending on what area that you are in,extensive work like this may be more common than you think.If the patient involved had not been to a dentist in a long period of time ,this type of case is not that unusual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is, i went to a dentist who performed the said treatments under oral dormicum. He did the procedures alone in his office with no assistance as his staff had to go off. At the end my teeth remained unwhitened , two instruments had broken and remained in situ , i started experiencing severe pains, which won't remit and my teeth [R CT ] are now sensitive to cold. I have taken Clacee to prevent or treat infection
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Treating without an assistant is not illegal but is highly unusual.The other issues that are certainly problems are that ,your teeth were not whitened,and that the root canals and fillings were NOT done correctly.These issues present a different scenario.Root canaled teeth are not able to transmit cold sensitivity unless your bite is off and unbalanced from the fillings that were placed.This is an altogether different issue.Your problem with the dentist is that if correctly performed,the amount of work that was done is aceptable.What is not acceptable is work that is not done correctly.Without seeing your xrays ,I cannot comment on the needed work or the finished work.The original question though was 'is it ethical and feasible"? And that answer is yes.Having work done poorly is not ethical or acceptable.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that you need?