Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had an apicoectomy on Friday. My face is still somewhat

Customer Question

Hi I had an apicoectomy on Friday. My face is still somewhat swollen, I still have some pain and my gums around the offending tooth are numb and whitish... Is the normal or should I contact then endodontist?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Have you been placed on an antibiotic? If so which one and how long and what doseage are you taking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No antibiotics and no discharge The gum is just overall whitish and grey and numb around #7
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you have swelling at this point,you most likely have an infection.It is hard for me to understand how dentists doing invasive surgery in the mouth,the dirtiest orifice in the body,do no use antibiotics with this type of procedure.Your swelling from surgical intervention should have subsided in four days.You need to call the surgeon and have them place you on either penicillin vk,clindamycin or amoxicillin ASAP..Do you have any of these available now?How long did the procedure last in the endodontist's office?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have these things on hand and I am allergic to PCN. I was in the char 3-4 hours because they had a temp filling in the tooth they had to finish up before they could move on to phase 2.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

An apicoectomy by an experienced surgeon should take less than 45 minutes.Having tissue opened for that long of a period in the mouth can lead to tissue slough which is caused by reflecting tissue without adequate blood supply for too long of a period of time.That is the reason for the whiteness of the tissue.If you are allergic to penicillin,clindamycin 300 mg every six hours for one week should be started right away.The fact that you were in the chair for that long of a period,indicates to me that the surgeon lacked adequate experience to do the job correctly.My suggestion would be to see someone else in the office or find a more experienced surgeon to evaluate what the other one has done.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I would be happy to look at any xrays or pictures of your surgical area to give you some more specific information.