Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I recently popped a hole in my crown on my back molar. this

Customer Question

I recently popped a hole in my crown on my back molar. this crown is just over a year old.
the dentist said he'd remove this one and order a replacement.
I'm really worried about the technique that may be employed to remove the existing crown.
I'm not a dentist but I imagine the process is drilling out the top of the crown and perhaps the edges and removing the old crown in pieces.
The alternative being just prying it off or some technique that uses way too much torque.
I found this waiver by one dentist...
http://michaeltribedentistry.com/consent_forms/english/CB_removal.pdf
What is the correct procedure for removing a crown that is new with what has probably very effective adhesive?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

A very good and thoughtful question of concern...

I've removed quite a few crowns for various reasons. Generally, they tend to often essentially pop off literally, or are easily removed with a crown removing tool that looks like some forceps (essentially they look similar to pliers one may use around the house). If the tooth has had a root canal, you may not need numbing, will depend on the Dentist. If no root canal has been previously performed - I'd suggest you be numbed however.

I don't want to make this seem complex however, as it isn't at all. I feel, from reading your thread above that you deem it to possibly be possibly overwhelming, etc. Also, the "Informed Consent" from the Dental Office is doing what all informed consents do - write it up as legal as possible and sometimes accidentally scare you, while making the procedure seem difficult. I'm not saying your Dentist's informed Consent is wrong. But it does accidentally, make the mere thought of having a crown removed sound a bit like passing a kidney stone or something. In my years of Dentistry, I've never had a form for "Informed Consent" for a crown removal. And, I've never had any complications such as what one can read about from what you sent me in the informed Consent!

What would I do? Honestly, I'd not sweat this thing out! The chance that your Dentist will have a problem with your tooth's crown coming off - has got to be about 1 in 1,000 or more. I wanted to say 1 in 10,000, but definitely it is supremely rare. And, I've never actually heard of any real story of a crown removal problem!

Anyway, please feel free to write back if you have any further concerns, but I feel extremely confident that this will not be in any way a traumatic experience for you, as spoken from my personal experience at this Dentistry for 30 years. I wish you the best, ***** ***** this helps you Sir!!!

Cordially,

Dr. Rampton