Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had extreme tooth pain 5 months ago 10 days before a

Customer Question

I had extreme tooth pain 5 months ago 10 days before a long overseas trip and the day before my dentist was going on vacation. She thought I might end up needing a root canal but she gave me antibiotics and some iubprofin and all was good so I was able to go on my two month trip. When I came back I visited the dentist to check the tooth. I had no pain but I wanted to be sure all was good. She did an xray and said nothing had changed and I could wait until I felt pain again before I bothered to do anything about it. SHe said it could be two months or two years. I was still concerned I might need a root canal so I went to her endocrinologist. He took an xray said there was infection and I needed a root canal. He did in it two steps. I now have a temp. filling and am on antibiotics. Yesterday I noticed a bad taste in my mouth and my gum near the tooth is sensitive. I am due to get a perm. filling.crown on Thursday. I am concerned about getting a crown if the problem is not fixed.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

As long as you don't have pain in that tooth, you can get a crown. The bad taste and the sensitivity of the gums is normal and can be explained.

The bad taste is due to the antibiotics and the gum sensitivity is due to the preparation done on the tooth and the temp filling.

However, make sure there is absolutely no pain whatsoever before you get a permanent crown.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For 5 months I never had any pain from the tooth or any symptoms at all. Even tapping the tooth did not cause any pain which is why my dentist said wait. I got a second opinion and I took it on faith that I actually needed a root canal.I don't understand why 6 days after the second procedure and the second last day on antibiotics I would start to get these symptoms: bad taste in my mouth, gum is red and sensitive near tooth. If it as as you say they would have been there all along surely?And what pain? I never had any pain when this was done. I am not even sure the tooth can feel pain.My concern is the root canal is still infected and a crown is going to trap that infection in the tooth.
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concerns but don't worry, bad taste and red inflamed gums aren't suggestive of a tooth infection. In fact, if you have no pain, then you don't need to worry at all. And bad taste can develop a little later on as well, not necessarily from the beginning.

I don't see any sign of an infected root canal. Go ahead get the crown, both the bad taste and gum sensitivity will disappear.

Regards,

Dr Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If so then what is a fistula and how does it develop?
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

A fistula is an connection between two structures, with openings at both ends. An oro antral fistula results during extraction of the upper back teeth, when a connection is established between the oral cavity and the maxillary sinus.

There is no relation of a fistula with your situation.

Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you.

I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not an idiot. You are just patting me on the head and saying don't worry, it's all normal.You are saying only worry if here is pain but there was NEVER ANY PAIN.Seriously you are no better than Google search.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I am going to have to disagree with Dr Behere.If you are having any symptoms at all with this tooth or the gum around it,any permanent restoration including a crown should be delayed.A fistula is a vent.It is merely a pathway or opening from one space to another.A fistula can form from an abscessed area being under pressure which would cause an opening in the gum for the infection to drain.A fistula from an abscessed tooth would appear as a small pimple or red area above the tooth or below depending on whether it was on the top or bottom.You need to remember that endodontists can only do root canals and when all you have is a hammer,everything looks like a nail.If you have an xray or picture of the gum area to upload,I would be happy to look at it for you.There are indications to do root canals and indications not to do root canals.It sounds like someone was not following the rules.