Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had a root canal on my eye tooth 9 days ago. The tooth

Customer Question

I had a root canal on my eye tooth 9 days ago. The tooth previously had a filling in it years ago. I went to the dentist because part of that eye tooth had broken off. So he did a 2 part root canal. I've had a few root canals before ... But, not by this dentist. And I've NEVER EVER hurt like this 9 days afterwards! I'd went back to him 4 days after root canal and he adjusted my bite(filed down that eye tooth)... Gave me a prescription for Ketoprofen & for Clindamycin & for 10 7.5 mg hydrocodones. Those pills have Been gone!! And I'm about to want to break my arm to try and defer the pain from my tooth to the arm. My oldest son was diagnosed with eye cancer in May of 2010 and now, has no insurance and Medicaid dropped him. He's been having trouble and started going back to a oncologist today and needs CT's with contrast and allot of tests ran. My dentist office keeps texting me wanting to know when can I come in for the build up and crown which is $1,200 we don't have right now! Plus I don't want a crown on the tooth until the pain is GONE!!! They haven't offered any more pain meds and I don't wanna seem like a druggie. I'm a nurse by the way... They just said I could come in again and he might have to readjust my bite again. I can't take this pain anymore. What should I do? We have no insurance either.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

To put it simply, if your tooth is still painting 9 days after getting a root canal, there is something wrong. The tooth needs to be re opened and cleaned again.

And of course you are right, there is no question of getting a crown till your symptoms subside completely.

The fact that you have no insurance complicates matters a little. One option is to go back to your dentist, be very assertive and demand that the pain should first be taken care of. If he agrees, then it won't cost you anything extra.

If he says no, it's time to look elsewhere. I can suggest a few cheaper alternatives to you, but right now my phone browser is not allowing me to copy paste those links here. I can do that from my PC when I get home in a few hours from now. Would that be OK?

Regards,

Dr Behere

Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere