Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Dental work including xray and impressions crown including a

Customer Question

Dental work including xray and impressions for a crown including a deep cavity filing with novocaine injections, completed seven days ago. At end of procedure bot***** *****p swelled and now has a round white spot with reddish border on inside where work done. Slightly stinging. No bleeding. Spot raises and declines and is sensitive. Abreva started two days ago. "Cold Sore"??? Was not believed or noted prior to dental work. Oral exam recently completed by two Dentists Offices. Ideas Suggestions?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

For me to give you a better answer is it possible for you to upload a photo of that area? You can either attach the photo directly with your reply or use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and paste the URL of the photo in your reply.

Regards,

Dr Behere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry photo not possible
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry too, answering your question confidently without a photo is not the best approach. I will opt out so that another expert can take a shot at this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see a dentist tomorrow thanks any how.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

Based on the relatively brief time frame between your procedure and the onset of your oral lesion, it is probably due to local injury. This would especially be the case if your dental service was on a lower tooth and you had local anesthesia, because the lower lip usually becomes numb during lower anesthetic injections, leaving it vulnerable to accidental lip biting. Other possible causes include the emergence of an aphthous ulcer (a "canker sore") either near the treated tooth or at the site of injection. (Aphthous ulcers not infrequently arise in areas of minor soft tissue injury.)

This would not likely be a cold sore because they only occur on the outside of the lips, where the vermilion meets the external skin; they do not arise inside the lip except in cases of severe immunosuppression or in primary infection, which is unlikely in the adult.

Occasionally, physical injury to the lip may lead to rupture of one of the tiny mucous glands under the tissue surface, leading to a blister of fluid known as a "mucocele". If this is the case, it should be monitored to determine whether it resolves on its own. If it persists more than a few weeks, a mucocele may need to be excised by an oral surgeon, which is a minor procedure.

Hope this helps...