Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

My 16 year old crown recently broke on my front right tooth,

Customer Question

My 16 year old crown recently broke on my front right tooth, #7 I believe. After trying to get a quick fix/replacement at from a Aspen dental location (because I have no dental right now, hubby never turned in papers at enrollment) I was told I needed to see a specialist because of a black area showing on the xray above #7 & 8 (was told #8 looks fine and in good shape). I was told to gather old xrays to compare. below if a link to a photo of a xray from 6/2014 on top and 10/28/2015 on bottom. The dentist mention it could be scaring from the actual trauma or a bad infection from the original incident. Back story, I was in 2nd grade and hit my tooth on a pole after falling off the monkey bars. The tooth chipped and was capped. several years about 1999 the tooth caused me a lot of pain and it was badly infected. I got a root canal and crown and haven't had any problems or pain since then. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem or just scaring?
pic to xrays
http://tinypic.com/r/281h2d4/9
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
x rays
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the Xrays. It is possible that it is just a scar but the problem is that scars are not usually that large and yours is extremely large and covers a large area. Most times when you have a periapical (end of root) infection your get complete bone regeneration and maybe a small area of scarring whereas your area of radiolucency (black) is much larger than normal. #7 will need a root canal and at that time an evaluation will be made about #8. You do not normally see scarring above a tooth without a root canal. You definitely need to see an Endodontist who will be able tell you what you need going forward. This is a problem and you do need to see someone about it before it excaerbates and starts to swell. Pulp testing #7 will confirm the fact that it is non vital and will require a root canal and you should do something before you begin to have symptoms. How long will it be before you become enrolled in your husbands dental plan??