Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My dentist cant find anything wrong with an area that feels

Customer Question

my dentist cant find anything wrong with an area that feels to me "like somethings going on in there". Its the same area where I had a tooth extracted 4 years ago. It gets tender inside and my glands get swollen, but the xrays don't show anything. after a week of penicillin its better but it didn't make it go away.2nd opinion from another dentist said its probably a deep infection and he would do an alveoloplasty but Im not sure how risky that is?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How long has this been going on for ?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on and off for 4 to 6 months. I don't take any medications, just vitamins. I am prediabetic but I changed my eating to mostly vegetables, salads and organic meat and I do work out 4-5 days a week

thank you for that additional information.

While what the second DDS has suggested is not risk free hopefully it will make things better.

It might be helpful to have better imaging, such as a MRI concentrating on your head/jaw to try and see if there really is a deep infection or abscess.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 2nd dentist did do a cone beam x ray which showed I had quite a bit of bone loss and also showed that there is a small piece of some material left behind from the extraction. The first dentist (who did the extraction) said that is not the problem and that I probably have some referred pain due to tmj. I do not have pain per se and certainly not in the jaw joint, only irritation and tenderness in the jaw in the area of the extraction. I dont wake up with pain from grinding my teeth and my husband of 22 years said hes never heard me grind my teeth. The first dentist wants me to go to an oral surgeon to verify his suspicion of tmj but I dont waste time/money. Any further thoughts?

Thank you for that additional information.

If the xray shows a foreign body left behind then I'd have to agree -- head to the oral surgeon.

But.....check out both issues; the possible TMJ and the possible object left behind.

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS