Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Pain on left side same tooth top and bottom. I've had riot

Customer Question

Pain on left side same tooth top and bottom. I've had riot canals on those two teeth so can't imagine it's another root canal
I do clench my teeth at night
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

It "could well" be from clenching...? It could be, but less chance of such, a problem with a root canal (but again, not very likely). I think what I'd do, is try to stop the clenching. Go see the Dentist, explain all that you are feeling, and with the assistance of he or she taking a couple of x-rays, things can be seen if there is problems, which the naked eye alone will not reveal. One last thing, the root canaled tooth/teeth could be a bit high, and so when you clench, just a bit, it may well be that those two teeth rub HARDER together than other teeth. If this is the case, the Dentist can easily check for high teeth fillings crowns, and adjust in a couple minutes.

I hope this helps you!

Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain is in my gums and shoots up my cheek when it gets really bad. Do you think something like this may pass in a day or 2 time, or does it require immediate care?

Good question! If the pain is more of discomfort, as opposed to PAIN of intensity, I'd be inclined to give it a couple days, and try to not clench of course. But if you have severe pain now, and or, you give it a couple days and it still persists, and with bad PAIN? Then I'd definitely go to the Dentist. I realize, it's a judgement call for you, according to the pain level and your tolerance. But waiting a couple days, is something I'd (personally) be inclined to do - if the intensity of pain was not too overwhelming...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would the symptoms be if it were an infection?

Infection has swelling and pain, one, or both simultaneously. A bit helpful. But swelling & pain are also what one incurs with trauma. But you already realize it's not trauma.

So, if you want, you could give it a couple days. If needed - seeing the Dentist for a couple small x-rays should be very helpful.

Best case, you give it a couple days, and avoid clenching, and it all may go away!?!?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any tricks to avoid clenching? I do it in my sleep- so difficult to consciously avoid

You are very welcome! I certainly do hope it subsides...

Again, it could be the two teeth are hitting high, needing an adjustment - and the clenching has amplified the pain/annoyance to you. So, if you're going to give it a couple days, may be prudent to still have you Dentist take a look...! Best wishes to you!

If it is clenching, I'd first ascertain the two teeth are not hitting high with your Dentist. Then, I'd have a simple (not expensive) night guard made, that slips on your teeth at night - and you can't grind - even in your sleep!

Oh, please do rate my question, if you would please - OK?

Thank you kindly. ( - :

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I rate?

It's a 1 (poor) to 5 (very good) system. You choose... # ***** stars if you were pleased--