Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 35 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

What are the treatment options tooth broken off at the gum?

Customer Question

What are the treatment options for a tooth broken off at the gum?
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no pain..Can this just be left with root holding the space?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a senior woman Don't want the cadillac cost..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tooth looks like it had large fillings on all surfaces.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

It really depends on how much tooth structure remains above the gumline and if the tooth has been root canaled previously.If you have a broken tooth at the gumline and it has not been root canaled,you run the chance of developing an infection which could lead to facial swelling and pain.If there is 2mm of tooth structure above the gumline ,this tooth can be restored.If you had an xray of the tooth to upload,I could give you some more information about your options and whether the tooth is worth saving.Leaving the tooth as it is will open you to chance when the infection will start.An extraction of the tooth is not terribly expensive but not doing anything could cause you more problems than what you need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you..extraction would be ok but was concerned about the next step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what type of restoration are you suggesting?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

First we need to figure out whether this tooth is worth being replaced or not.An xray of your mouth would help me make that determination.Just because the tooth is extracted,you do not have to decide on a next step right away.Things need to heal first.Restoration of the tooth would require root canal therapy and a filling supported with pins and then possibly a crown.Do you have other teeth missing on the same arch? Which tooth exactly is the one that broke?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you VERY much..this is helpful..gives me good info to have before app't this p.m. good bye :)
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.Let me know how it goes.When you get a chance,please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on the site Thanks.You can always get back to me with the xray .I can have a look and give you some options.