Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have had all but 5 lower teeth removed in preparation of

Customer Question

I have had all but 5 lower teeth removed in preparation of dentures. 1 of my rear lower molars (Last one on the left, and has excellent bone density) needs a root canal. About 35% of the tooth is broke off, and My Dentist says I am gambling by saving it, but it is going to be very helpful in preventing the denture from "flipping up."
The 4 other teeth are the 2 canines, and 2 small teeth on the left side.
The dentist wants 1,100.00 to do the work. My main question is:
Do I NEED the back molar, and how important is it to have it with the lower denture keeping it in place?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The more teeth that you have stabilizing a lower partial denture,the better your chances of having good retention.If the bone around the molar is in good shape and has no periodontal disease around it,this tooth could stay in your mouth for many years and provide added support for your denture.A tooth is like a natural implant except you don't have to pay thousands of dollars to have it placed.Without seeing your xray,I cannot tell you for sure that this tooth is worth saving but from what you have posted,I would try to hold on to this tooth if it is stable and restorable.The clasp around this tooth will provide a good amount of retention which is important in partial denture construction.If the tooth ever needs to come out,it can always be added to the denture.