Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I inherited periodontal disease from my mother but through

Customer Question

I inherited periodontal disease from my mother but through much effort and care over a lifetime, have been able to maintain for the most part a healthy, cavity-free mouth. I have had a missing 13 tooth for a long time. For the first time in many years, I went to a dentist and had x-rays and an exam. They pointed out the loss of bone and receding gum lines of course. By the way, I have a gold bridge on the upper right side of my mouth from 35 years ago when an impacted molar or wisdom tooth was removed and they propose a bone graft there to build up the bone tissue and prevent the two remaining rear teeth from slanting forward anymore. Actually that is a question for another time but wanted to fill in the entire history.
My question is for the upper left. They propose a 06750, Crown - porcelain fused to gold for 12 & 14 with 13 receiving a pontic. They also include a 02950,Core buildup incl. any pins when required, and porcelain margin on 12.
This all sounds reasonable to me except the 02975, three Coping charges for 12,13,14. The coping costs as much as the above described crown and core work. My insurance covers less than 10% of the coping fees. I did ask a second dentist for an opinion over the phone and he just told me Coping is for implants, not crowns. Now I am really confused. Please clarify for me so I have confidence to go back to the dentist or try the second one.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

A coping is the metal base for the crown or bridge.It is part of the crown and no further charge should be made for the coping. It is part of the crown and bridge procedure.If they are charging you additionally for the coping,they are just trying to pad the bill and make more money. A three unit bridge including the coping or metal base should run about $3000.The core buildup may be an additional charge because that is a separate procedure.Copings have nothing to do with implants.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need more information