Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My dentist referred me extractions. I went to the oral

Customer Question

Hi, my dentist referred me for 2 extractions. I went to the oral surgeon 2.5 weeks ago and had #30 removed as it was cracked down to the nerve beyond repair. AFter that I chewed on the other side and now it HURTS! My dentist said it could be 17 as it cracked and has nerves but it feels like #19 should be the one taken out. My question is why would 19 hurt if #17 is the one to be removed?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

I'm not certain is your Dentist looked at #19 and #17 after the extraction of #30 on the other side or not. But is they gave their opinion "after" the extraction and after an examination of evaluating #17 & #19, that is what you need.

As ALWAYS is the case, if something seems "not right" to you, I would highly additionally recommend getting a second opinion as well! Most Dentist would welcome it, and NOT be rubbed the wrong way. Does that make sense?

Dr. Rampton

* PS_ referred pain, is where one tooth hurts, and yet it may be an adjacent tooth. So, while it seems weird, yes, it can happen. But generally, the tooth which hurts is the tooth which has the problem. But, again, a second opinion is often a good idea!