Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a last back bottom tooth extracted, looks like an in

Customer Question

I had a last back bottom tooth extracted, looks like an in plant , crown not included may cost close to $5,000. I am 75 years and wondering if I did not get this procedure done, would I loose the top tooth because it would not have the support of the missing tooth!
the gum of the extracted tooth is healing well!!
thank you
louise Roy
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

At 75 years old you would most likely never notice the top opposing tooth ever drifting down far enough to ever even notice it. It would take many years of drifting and at this point in your life the process would be extremely slow.A lot of dentists use this type of scare technique on unknowing patients so they can sell them implants at some ridiculous price.The answer is no,you will not lose the top tooth because you don't get the implant.If you had an xray to upload,I could tell you if it is even worth replacing this tooth or if there are other options.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any more information.