Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-49 years of practice, Endodontics Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had a tooth extracted on Thursday the 8th, three days ago

Customer Question

I had a tooth extracted on Thursday the 8th, three days ago in preparation for an implant. A bad pain started yesterday and has been building ever since. Fells like "pressure' on the whole side of my face.
I called the practitioner that did the procedure and have not gotten a return call.
Should I go to the emergency room?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it sounds as if you have developed a dry socket. Dry sockets occur when the clot is lost and now you have exposed bone which is very painful. Unfortunately going to an emergency room will not help because they are not trained to treat this situation. You can eliminate the discomfort yourself by using Oil of Cloves on small piece of cotton or pellet, or benzocaine on a cotton pellet or iodoform gauze or desitin on both sides of small piece of gauze (1/2 to1 inch). The gauze should be removed in 48 hours. A new clot will form under the gauze and the healing process will continue. Dry sockets will heal on their own!
Here is a link to a "How to video":
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iWC3laSv68
Explanation URL:
http://www.animated-teeth.com/dry-sockets/a4-dry-sockets-treatments.htm

For pain you can use 2 Advil along with Extra Strength Tylenol 1000mg total) which help with the discomfort. Do not use these drugs if you have liver issues. It takes 5-6 weeks to have complete healing. I would then call your dentist tomorrow and have him change your dressing and assess the situation. Hope this makes sense to you? If you need more information please let me know. Thanks.

Hi, just checking to see how you are doing with your problem. Thanks.